Thursday, April 24, 2014





Abuse scandal continues to take toll on US church


February 16. 2013 8:02AM
Story Tools
PrintPrint | E-MailEMail | SaveSave | Hear Generate QR Code QR
Send to Kindle


NEW YORK (AP) ‚?? Roman Catholic dioceses and religious orders received nearly 600 credible clergy sex abuse claims last year. All but a few of the allegations involve wrongdoing from decades ago that are only being reported now.
The findings are part of an annual child safety report commissioned by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops. Auditors check compliance with the discipline plan bishops adopted in 2002 at the height of the abuse scandal.
Church officials say they paid more than $144 million in settlements and related costs last year, a slight drop from 2010. Another $33 million was spent on background checks and other child protection measures.
Auditors say improvements are needed in how dioceses monitor accused priests. The auditors also warn about complacency after a decade of intense scandal. Victims‚?? advocate David Clohessy of Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, says the report is not a true audit. Clohessy says it‚??s ‚??a glorified self-survey, frankly, by the same men who have caused and continue to cause the abuse and cover-up crisis.‚?Ě


Comments
comments powered by Disqus Commenting Guidelines
Poll
Mortgage Minute


Search for New & Used Cars

Make 
Model
 
Used New All
 

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just the home you want!

Search Times Leader Classifieds to find just what you need!

Search Pet Classifieds
Dogs Cats Other Animals



Social Media/RSS
Times Leader on Twitter
Times Leader on Youtube
Times Leader on Google+
The Times Leader on Tumblr
The Times Leader on Pinterest
Times Leader RSS Feeds